Wednesday, May 8, 2013

“I promise not to oppress you with too much remorse or too much passion, though since you left us the white rose bush has died of grief.”

Who knew anyone could improve on Austen? That one line is just toooooo romantic. Do you know where it's from? The 1986 adaptation of Northanger Abbey. It's 80s-tastic with all the perms and the sax-offending soundtrack, but I adore this silly adaptation of Jane Austen's silliest book. The acting is awkward and some of the supporting cast are downright weird, but Peter Firth is the perfect quirky Henry Tilney and Katherine Schlesinger is a lovely big-blue-eyed-and-naive Catherine Morland.


*happy sigh*

I'm obsessed with books about big dreary old castles at the moment. I'm reading The Mysteries of Udolpho (halfway, but the audiobook is bugging me so may switch to an electronic edition) as well as The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

Meanwhile, say it again, Henry. Please!

“I promise not to oppress you with too much remorse or too much passion, though since you left us the white rose bush has died of grief.”

The thing is, that line is not in the book. But it ends this TV movie perfectly.

Watch it here:


2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to see this, once I listen to the audio book - I'm on an Austen kick at the mo (P&P, S&S, Persuasion, Emma) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! The books and the adaptations. Just adore them.

    ReplyDelete